www.crapelvis.com

I made an impulse buy of a $30 Elvis suit 3 weeks before leaving Australia in Jan 2008 to travel for a year.
It's crap....and now it's coming with me.
I don't sound like Elvis, look like Elvis, or sing like Elvis.
I am Crap Elvis.

crapelvis@gmail.com


World trip montage - Crap Elvis in 25 countries

Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's Merpati and I'll cry if I want to: Crap Elvis in Lombok, Indonesia

Crapppppppppy new yeaaaaaaaaaaaar!

Somewhere on an island off Lombok, which is an island off Bali, a man in a cheap Elvis suit is accepted and respected. Maybe if they had better connections to the outside world on Gili Trawangan they may be a little more disappointed. But this is a place with salt water showers, no cars, and horse drawn taxis so I've got to take these opportunities while I can.




Coz tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1969.


So in the run-up to New Year's Eve on Gil Trawangan, I'd strapped in for a 20 minute flight on Merpati Air from Bali to Lombok (am still wondering what happens in the final 1 hour 40 minutes of the inflight movie). Aa few days were spent on the south coast chasing waves, and avoiding cows, chickens and coconuts in the road.

The service station attendent may have been young, but at least she put her cigarette out before serving me. The official unit of petrol in Lombok is "old whisky bottle."



Interesting choice of business name. But whatever turns you on hey?


Traditional stick fighting. Shortly afterwards it descended into an all in brawl which the police had to break up. Who'd have thought that something so simple as 2 men beating each other with long sharp poles would lead to violence.


Rush hour.


I was very lucky to witness the world record attempt for "how many people can you get in a tiny minibus"....


...but even luckier to see the world record attempt at "how many people can you fit on a moped"

No comments: